Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Just Prefer To Win



I was thinking this morning about how I get super competitive for things that should be insignificant. In particular, any form of a game in which I am pitted against others. Monopoly never really counted because it was so boring that we always quit before anyone loses all his money. My in-town cousins, my brother, and I loved to play Pictionary. The teams were always me and Terese vs. Charlie and Peter. My team won 99% of the time, and we had fun doing it. Because we were so good, our enemies constantly tried to cheat, and though we mostly caught them, it still made us extremely angry. This quality transferred to years later when I would occasionally play with housemates in Chicago. Damn. Markers were thrown, chairs were kicked, blood was spilled. Those games got rough. When I win, I'm not unusually happy. It's because I retain this fucked up mentality from childhood that if I'm performing as I should, it should be perfect, and I punish myself for any fuckups. I lived with a girl who also got rather competitive over Pictionary. We were both the best players, so our friends usually kept us on separate teams. Though this was most fair, it ensured stupendous fights and days of seething silence.

Videogames seem to bring out the worst in people. My brother and I played games like Street Fighter II when we were little, and we constantly threw the controllers and yelled at each other. I always chose the agile little female characters. Then the best 2d fighting game EVER came out (Marvel Vs. Capcom 2) and I could choose three bitches with which to wail on my brother. Now we play Halo 3; and though it's a little better, and we try to laugh it off, there's some pissiness from time to time. I remember the Nintendo 64. We used to play 007: Goldeneye, Super Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart 64. They caused massive fights. At university my friends and I would play Mario Party on the Gamecube after nights of partying, and it was mostly fun, but there times when tension was palpable. Now when I catch myself getting worked up, I remind myself that I play videogames to have fun. The problem is I still think it's most fun when I obliterate another player and teabag the corpse.

No comments:

Post a Comment