Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ladyballs





Fix your weave and tuck your nuts! It's time for. . .

RuPaul's Drag Race
Yeshhhh.
It's like America's Next Top Model, America's Got Talent, Project Runway (for this episode at least), and America's Fiercest Tranny all in one. Technically they're not trannies....since so many people get it twisted, let's get something clear first:

transvestite: anyone dressed up in the opposite sex's clothing; cross-dresser: gay, straight, whatevs. For a while it was used specifically for hetero guys who enjoy wearing women's clothing.
drag queen: a cross-dresser who does so for entertainment purposes; i.e., Lady Bunny and Coco Peru. And RuPaul, duh.
transsexual/transgender: someone who identifies with the physical sex other than that with which he/she was born. These are the ones who potentially qualify for sexual reassignment surgery. When people say "trannies," this is usally what they mean.

These boys may or may not be trannies, but I'm going to be using all the terms loosely. I just like the word tranny.

Oh, and there's something else thou shalt not get twisted. As much as I respect her, RuPaul did not invent all this tranny vernacular. Supermodel of the world? No, no, no. Much of it was coined in NYC in the 70s and 80s. Do yourself a favor, and watch Paris Is Burning. You might be able to understand more of my jokes that way. On to the show. . .

You know what? I suddenly got really unmotivated. I'll just say there are some manly, busted queens and some manly, not-quite-as-busted queens. I just want to focus on one contestant: Tammie Brown.


Dear Tammie Brown,
What happened to your face? I can only imagine what sort of horrible accident befell you to make you look that way. What I'm specifically worried about is your forehead. I mean. . . damn. I'm sorry, I know it's not cool to make fun of people with birth defects, but modern medicine offers many options for extreme drag makeovers. I think lowering your hairline would make all the difference. Oh, and a personality transplant.
xoxo
Schad N. Freude


I have to admit I was extremely repulsed by Tammie at first. But the more I looked, the more I loved. It's as if Lucille Ball, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, and Chewbacca had a forgy and created a demented baby. Her forehead is off the hook! Tyra Banks ain't got shit on her. I like her painfully awkward and uncomfortable look and persona in drag. My favorite art and literature always make me uncomfortable. The thing is, he's actually cute as a boy.



Except for those eyebrows. Yowza. Maybe he should have just grown out the unibrow (you can totally tell his eyebrow would RUN to uni) and do Frida Kahlo drag. Oh snap, that's kind of a good idea. I call dibs! Sexy Frida drag is mine.


Random Busted Queens:

No comments:

Post a Comment